Monday, August 8, 2011

Sonsonate

We're going through our accumulated pics from trips to El Salvador and Guatemala. There's not a lot of colonial architecture in El Salvador—my eye really enjoys crumbling modernity in spite of the economic/social implications. Sonsonate, the euphonious name belies; it's a hot, gritty city with not much to draw those without business there. We've passed through numerous times and made a trip to see a fine Semana Santa procession; this building caught my attention. The building reminds me of (though not quite on par with) Frédéric Chaubin's photos of mind-tickling Soviet architecture, published by Taschen in CCCP: Cosmic Commuinst Constructions Photographed. I like the pigeon keeping watch in the upper hole-window.

3 comments:

O Arrow said...

This picture is great. That book looks fantastic and reminds me of these photographs I saw at the Graham Foundation by another artist...Nicolas Grospierre, on the same theme. I think that building style is amazing and scary!

O Arrow said...

See here: http://www.grospierre.art.pl/portfolio/hydroklinika/#/1

Anna E. Wilson said...

Love the link, O! I will make sure all the Chaubin-lovers in my circle see this!